Monday, May 31, 2021

Weekly Wrap-Up

 

This is for the week of May 24th- May 30th. I read a total of 8 books which brings my yearly reading total to 153 books. I read a total of 2,416 pages. This was a great reading week and hope to continue on this way. Now for the books that I read in order of when I read them.


The Last Piece By: Imogen Clark

I gave this book 4 stars. This book I received in my Once Upon Book Club Box.

This book is about adoption and finding your birth family. This can be a hard book for some to read if you have a family member who was adopted out or you yourself had to place a child.

I love this story because the mom was 16 when she the baby and she was made to place her baby. Fifty years later they meet. There are up and downs and some family drama that does not deal with the adoption.

The ending was not what I expected but it was still good. I do recommend that you read this book.


The Glory and The Dream By: William Manchester

This is the second volume. This book took me 5 months to read. I only read about 20 minutes a day. This is a history book, and it only covered the years from 1932 to 1972. There is a whole of information that I did not know and some I did not care to know. Yes, it is outdated but I enjoy history and since it was around the house, I read it. I gave it 3 stars.


An Ember In The Ashes By: Sabaa Tahir

I gave this book 3 stars. This book is about a young girl who will do anything to save her brother. Even if that means spying for the enemy. I had a hard time getting into this book, but I am interested enough to continue with the series.


The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned To Read By: Rita Lorraine Hubbard

I gave this book 5 stars. It is a beautiful book about a freed slave and her life. She was freed with the civil war at the age of 15 and how much she wanted to learn how to read but she had to work to help her family. She was finally able to lean at the ripe old age of 116. She lived to be 121. I enjoyed the pictures as well as the story.



The Crow’s Call By: Wanda E. Brunstetter

This is the first book in her new trilogy. I gave it 4 stars. This book is about the struggles of an Amish family dealing with the death of three members of their family. This first book is about Amy and how she feels that she can no longer court the boy she loves because she must help her family with their greenhouse, which is how they are able to make a living. Strange things are happening at the greenhouse, and they do not know who or what is causing the problem.



Diana and The Underworld Odyssey By: Aisha Saeed

I gave this book 4 stars. It is the second book in the World Woman Adventures.

I received as an e-arc from NetGalley for an honest review and the link of my review is below.

https://debbiesreadingcorner.blogspot.com/2021/05/diana-and-underworld-odyssey-book-review.html




The Mockingbird’s Song By: Wanda E.  Brunstetter

This is the second book in series. The first book is called The Crow’s Call. I gave this book 4 stars also. I received this as an e-arc from NetGalley for an honest review. The link is down below. This book is about the sister who lost her husband an accident. It goes into how she deals with her grief and get her life back to normal for herself and her two young children. More things are still happening to the Greenhouse, and they do not know who or what is causing the issues.

https://debbiesreadingcorner.blogspot.com/2021/05/the-mockingbirds-song-book-review.html


King and the Dragonflies By: Kacen Callender

I received this book through the Amazon Vine Program for an honest review. I have reviewed it on Amazon already. I gave it 3 stars.  I felt there were too many issues going in this book for a middle-grade reader to have to deal with at one time. If he had just kept to one or two it would have been a four star. He did do a great job with the issues and his writing is wonderful. The three issues were an unexpected death of a youth through sports, sexual identity issues and abuse by a parent who has an important job in the community.

Have you read any of these book? If you have do you agree with me? If not tell me why because I am truly interested in your thoughts.
Until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment