Monday, April 20, 2020

Books Beside My Chair #16

For the Week of April 13th-April19th I read 7 books which brings my yearly total to 80 books. I read 2,866 pages. I had a great reading week and I am hoping to continue on with my reading since there isn't much else to do lately.

 This is the first book that I finished. It is a mystery from one of my favorite authors. I gave it 5stars and I read it for the herbology prompt of the OWLS. This is the last book I needed to finish my career for the OWLS. It was also one of the books I needed to read to finish up reading her books.
Parker Bennett has been missing for two years. He dropped out of sight-- on a sailboat in the Caribbean-- just before it was discovered that the $5 billion dollars in the fund he had been managing had vanished. Lane Harmon, assistant to an upscale interior designer, is working on his wife's townhouse. Gradually, Lane finds herself drawn to Eric, the Bennetts' son, who is determined to prove that his father is not guilty. Lane doesn't know that the closer she gets to the Bennetts, the more she puts her life-- and her daughter's life-- in jeopardy.
 This is the second book that my church has put out. It did take me awhile to read because I read it 30 minutes a day. I gave it 4 stars. I really enjoyed the first volume better.
With mobs threatening to drive them from their homes, thousands of Latter-day Saints flee Nauvoo, their gathering place for the past seven years. Following Brigham Young and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, they travel west across prairie and plain, trusting in God to prepare a home for them beyond the towering peaks of the Rocky Mountains.

Finding a new home is only the beginning of their story. In their quest to serve God and build Zion, the exiled Saints struggle against new obstacles and greater persecutions. Stalwart women and men work together to forge communities where the faithful can gather near temples established for the glory of God and the redemption of the living and the dead. At the same time, hundreds of missionaries journey to distant lands to invite others to come to Christ and help establish Zion
 This is a fantasy. It is the second book in her Farseer series. I enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars. I think I like the first book better. I did like the ending though so will continue on with the series.
Fitz has survived his first hazardous mission as king’s assassin, but is left little more than a cripple. Battered and bitter, he vows to abandon his oath to King Shrewd, remaining in the distant mountains. But love and events of terrible urgency draw him back to the court at Buckkeep, and into the deadly intrigues of the royal family.

Renewing their vicious attacks on the coast, the Red-Ship Raiders leave burned-out villages and demented victims in their wake. The kingdom is also under assault from within, as treachery threatens the throne of the ailing king. In this time of great danger, the fate of the kingdom may rest in Fitz’s hands—and his role in its salvation may require the ultimate sacrifice.

 This is a young adult book and I really enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars. I read this book because I heard about it on YouTube. I am not sure if you would put it as a fantasy or contemporary. Either way I recommend that you read it.
The Larkin family isn't just lucky-they persevere. At least that's what Violet and her younger brother, Sam, were always told. When the Lyric sank off the coast of Maine, their great-great-great-grandmother didn't drown like the rest of the passengers. No, Fidelia swam to shore, fell in love, and founded Lyric, Maine, the town Violet and Sam returned to every summer.

But wrecks seem to run in the family: Tall, funny, musical Violet can't stop partying with the wrong people. And, one beautiful summer day, brilliant, sensitive Sam attempts to take his own life.

Shipped back to Lyric while Sam is in treatment, Violet is haunted by her family's missing piece-the lost shipwreck she and Sam dreamed of discovering when they were children. Desperate to make amends, Violet embarks on a wildly ambitious mission: locate the Lyric, lain hidden in a watery grave for over a century.

She finds a fellow wreck hunter in Liv Stone, an amateur local historian whose sparkling intelligence and guarded gray eyes make Violet ache in an exhilarating new way. Whether or not they find the Lyric, the journey Violet takes-and the bridges she builds along the way-may be the start of something like survival.

Epic, funny, and sweepingly romantic, The Last True Poets of the Sea is an astonishing debut about the strength it takes to swim up from a wreck
 This is a contemporary book and I gave it 3 stars. It was ok but not what I was expecting and kept getting lost in the story. Even though the chapters told you where she was I still got confused. I am glad that she wrote about a hard topic and how she handled it just wish I could stay focus on it.
Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They'd been together for more than a decade, and Lydia thought their love was indestructible.

But she was wrong. On her twenty-eighth birthday, Freddie died in a car accident.

So now it's just Lydia, and all she wants to do is hide indoors and sob until her eyes fall out. But Lydia knows that Freddie would want her to try to live fully, happily, even without him. So, enlisting the help of his best friend, Jonah, and her sister, Elle, she takes her first tentative steps into the world, open to life--and perhaps even love--again.

But then something inexplicable happens that gives her another chance at her old life with Freddie. A life where none of the tragic events of the past few months have happened.

Lydia is pulled again and again across the doorway of her past, living two lives, impossibly, at once. But there's an emotional toll to returning to a world where Freddie, alive, still owns her heart. Because there's someone in her new life, her real life, who wants her to stay.

Written with Josie Silver's trademark warmth and wit, The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is a powerful and thrilling love story about the what-ifs that arise at life's crossroads, and what happens when one woman is given a miraculous chance to answer them
 This is a quick read. It is a graphic novel dealing with a book owner. It was really cute and I enjoyed it. I had to read it on my computer because it was the only way I could get it. I gave it 5 stars and highly recommend you read it.
Bookworms rejoice! These charming comics capture exactly what it feels like to be head-over-heels for hardcovers. And paperbacks! And ebooks! And bookstores! And libraries!
 
Book Love is a gift book of comics tailor-made for tea-sipping, spine-sniffing, book-hoarding bibliophiles. Debbie Tung’s comics are humorous and instantly recognizable—making readers laugh while precisely conveying the thoughts and habits of book nerds. Book Love is the ideal gift to let a book lover know they’re understood and appreciated.

This is a general fiction book. I received it as an e-book from NetGalley for review. I will have that review up later this week. I gave it 3 stars. I did like it but didn't love it. It was cute but boy there was a lot of things happening and if you weren't paying attention you could get lost. I give more thoughts in my review. The synopsis is really good and tempts you to want to read it.  This is what good reads has to say about this book.
In a small town, everyone knows everyone else's business...
Nobody knows the people of Wooster, Ohio, better than switchboard operator Vivian Dalton, and she'd be the first to tell you that. She calls it intuition. Her teenage daughter, Charlotte, calls it eavesdropping.
Vivian and the other women who work at Bell on East Liberty Street connect lines and lives. They aren't supposed to listen in on conversations, but they do, and they all have opinions on what they hear-especially Vivian. She knows that Mrs. Butler's ungrateful daughter, Maxine, still hasn't thanked her mother for the quilt she made, and that Ginny Frazier turned down yet another invitation to go to the A & W with Clyde Walsh.
Then, one cold December night, Vivian listens in on a call between that snob Betty Miller and someone whose voice she can't quite place and hears something shocking. Betty Miller's mystery friend has news that, if true, will shatter Vivian's tidy life in Wooster, humiliating her and making her the laughingstock of the town.
Vivian may be mortified, but she isn't going to take this lying down. She's going to get to the bottom of that rumor-get into it, get under it, poke around in the corners. Find every last bit. Vivian wants the truth, no matter how painful it may be.
But as Vivian is about to be reminded, in a small town like Wooster, one secret usually leads to another...

I hope you give these books a chance and let me know if you have read any of them. I would like to talk with you about them in the comments. Until next time keep reading and stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment