Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Amelia Bedelia Bakes Off Recipe

 


I want to try something new on this blog. I am going to read a book and do a recipe and or project that the book features. I don’t know if I will do it weekly because of my work schedule but I will try for at least once a month. Let me know what you think. I am starting out with a simple one that you can do with your children.

Amelia Bedella is a well-known maid who messes everything up by taking everything literal. She is well loved even though she messes things up because she is a great cook and is known for lemon meringue pie. Well in this book she helps her cousin do some baking for a friend’s cookie shop and as usually you get a laugh out of the things, they end up baking. The owner of the shop will be at a contest that a tv cook show is having and she will see Amelia there. Amelia ends up baking and decorating a cake that is shaped like a bed and the Chef loves it.

The cake is really easy to make and tastes really good. My family loves it. Here is the result of my baking it along with my frosting recipe.

Amelia Bedelia’s Sheet Cake w/ buttercream icing Recipes

Here is a delicious recipe that you should try. It is simple and good. I got the cake recipe from a children’s book and the icing recipe I got from Wilton.

 This is everything you will need to make the cake except I forgot the vegetable oil.
3 cups flour; 1 3/4 cups sugar; 2 teaspoons baking soda; 1 teaspoon salt; 2/3 cup cocoa; 3/4 cup vegetable oil; 2 tablespoons white vinegar; 1 teaspoon vanilla; 2 cups water.

 In an ungreased 9×13 pan sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa directly into the pan.

 Add oil, vinegar, and vanilla.

 Pour water over all ingredients.

 Mix with a fork until smooth. Bake at 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. My oven was a little off so it took about 45 minutes to bake. Cool the cake and ice it in the pan with your favorite frosting.

 This is what you will need to make the buttercream icing.  actually cut the recipe in half. I will give you the full recipe. 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening; 1/2 cup butter softened; 1 teaspoon vanilla; 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (powdered); 2 tablespoons milk.
Cream the butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Here is my cake. It is good and you don’t have to use any eggs.

Again, let me know if you like this new idea. As always until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment