Monday, August 26, 2024

Escape for this Escape Book Review

 Book Information:

Escape: The Story of the Confederacy’s Infamous Libby Prison and the Civil War’s Largest Jail Break

By: Robert P. Watxon

Rowman & Littlefield

Nonfiction (Adult)

Publish Date 15 August 2021

#Escape#NetGalley

50 Book ReviewsProfessional Reader

Good Reads Synopsis:

Robert P. Watson provides the definitive account of the Confederacy’s infamous Libby Prison, site of the Civil War’s largest prison break. Libby Prison housed Union officers, high-profile foes of the Confederacy, and political prisoners. Watson captures the wretched conditions, cruel guards, and the story of the daring prison break, called “the most remarkable in American history.”

My Book Review:

First, I would like to thank NetGalley and Rowman & Littlefield for approving the e-arc of this book.

Escape is only 336 pages, but it is full of information. I usually read a book this size in one to two days, but this book took a lot longer because of the amount of information involved, and the way the book made me feel. Despite the time it took me to read, I gave this book 5 stars. I know a book is good when it can make me feel what the people in the story are going through.

I have heard of the Libby Prison before, but I know a lot of people have not heard of her, but they do know about Andersonville. The author talks about the prisons in the south with enough detail that you can picture them in your mind and imagine how the prisoners were treated in each place.

The author goes into detail about the beginning of the war, and most of the prisoners in the prison. Of course, he couldn’t mention everyone because that would really make a long book! He mostly talks about the people who were involved in the prison break. He also tells you about the people in charge of the prison break.

If you love history and the civil war, I highly recommend that you read this book. But remember, it is not a quick read, but it is worth the time if you really want to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment