Friday, September 13, 2019

September 1-8 Reads

 I know I am late again. These are the books I have read for the first week of September.  I had a pretty good reading week. My lowest rating was a 3 stars and that is still a good book. Now onto the books. The first book I finished was Educated by: Tara Westover. This is a memoir about her growing up in a little town in Idaho. She had an interesting life and she tells how she was able to overcome it. She is still alive and lives in England with her boyfriend. This book I read for a book club I am a member of and I gave it 4.5 stars. I had an issue with way it wasn't written and it took me awhile to get use to it. The second is pictured down below so I will talk about it later. The third book was House of Salt and Sorrows By: Erin A. Craig. I buddy read this book with my daughter Tara. This is a young adult fantasy novel. I gave it 4 stars. I enjoyed this book. It had some scary parts to it and some confusing parts where I had to go back and reread some parts to make sense of it. I liked her writing and the story line. The story is about a family with twelve daughters and half of them have died for some reasons and the surrounding area think the family is cursed. One of the daughters is determined that her sisters are being murder and sets out to find why and who is doing this to her family.  I do recommend that you give this book a try. The fourth book was The Glory and the Dream: A Narrative History of America 1932-1972 Volume 1 by: William Manchester. I gave this book 3 stars. I have been reading this book since May. It is a nonfiction/history book. This book starts just FDR becomes President and stops while Eisenhower is President. It goes into great detail about what was going on in the world during 1932-1954. I will pick up the sequel in a couple of months. I have to give myself break because there is a lot of political stuff going on in this book and I know the next one will be the same way. Not a bad book just a lot of detail about the issues and yes I did learn somethings.
The last book I read is Emma by: Keith and Ann Terry. I gave this book 4.5 stars and it is a nonfiction/biography book. This book is about Emma Smith the wife of Joseph Smith, who was the 1st President/Prophet of the Mormon church, which is known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I already know about her life and the struggles she went through as being a wife of a prophet of a new religion. I did learn a little more about her life after the death of her husband. I enjoyed reading this book and if you can find a copy I would recommend that you read it. It is a short book so a quick read.
This is the second book that I read this week. It is also the only audio book for the week. I was able to read a lot of books physically this week for a change. I really enjoyed this book. Michelle narrated this book and so you can tell it meant a lot to her. This book is about her life up and through the white house years. It was nice to get to know her better and what was going through her mind at times. I gave this book 5 stars and would highly recommend that you read/listen to this book.

As you can see I read 5 books this past week and they were all fairly good reads. I read 2,145 pages, 3 books were by female authors, 1 by a male author and 1 by a husband/wife team. I hope you give these book a try and let me know if you have read any of them you let me know what you think.
Until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment