Monday, September 16, 2019

September 9-15 Reads

 This was not a very good week on finishing books. I am almost done with a couple of books. This is the first book I was able to finish this week. I do have a review up for this book. I gave it 4.5 stars. It is a romance book and I was received this book from NetGalley for my honest review.
The last book I was able to finish this week was Pachinko by: Min Jin Lee. I started this book in August. I am not sure how to classify this book. I am going to put it as a historical fiction. I did enjoy this book and I gave it 3.5 stars. You are following a family of Koreans who live in Japan. It starts out with a son who has facial deformities and his parents arrange a marriage to girl who's father is in need to place his daughters. This marriage only produces one child. his child is a daughter who helps her family and then the story goes onto her life. Her life isn't easy for her or any Korean who is living in Japan. She gets involved with a married man (whom she doesn't know is married) and ends up pregnant. She can't marry the father of her baby but a stranger offers to marry her to help save the family from being shunned against. This marriage produces another child. Her husband is a preacher for a Christian faith and is eventually put into prison for several years. He is only released so he can die at home.   Now she is a widow who is living with brother-in-law and his wife. Money is scarce and they have to figure out a way to live. The story continues on wit the lives of the two boys. There is a lot going on with this story. It was a good read but a lot of information and slow in some parts. I would recommend that you read it though. I did learn somethings that I didn't know.
So I only read a total of 879 pages. Both books were by female authors.
I am hoping to do better this coming week. Until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment