Monday, February 10, 2020

Books Beside My Chair #6

Here is another weekly wrap-up. These are the books that I read from February 3rd to February 9th. I was able to read 6 books which brings my total to 29 books read so far for the year 2020. Total pages read was 789. This was a busy and hard week to get my reading in so these are mostly short books. So onto the books that I read.

 This is a graphic novel that I gave 3 stars. It is the second volume and is about werewolves and fairies. I liked the first volume better. Blitherton is a typical college town full of typical mythical creatures living peacefully alongside humans. (Well, as peacefully as any town full of magic and mystery can be.) A werewolf in the throes of young love, Julie longs for a normal, human life. But when enchanted drinks turn an otherwise ordinary party into a full-on magical meltdown, Julie's dreams of normality drift further away than ever. With her relationship with her girlfriend seesawing between bliss and miser, will Julie find a way to save her friends and her love life? (Sorry had to use the back of the book to describe what the book is about).
 This is another graphic novel and again I only gave it 3 stars. This book is about a school who brings African Americans to attend with a promise of free tuition and everything. It is a school who uses them to power the school by using their soul. You have Harriet Tubman and another ghost from the civil war who are fighting to catch them and save these unknown students who don't know what is going on. It was a little weird for me and trying to be like Harry Potter.
 This is probably my favorite book for the week. As you can see it another book about history. I really enjoy reading about the civil war and this one talked about the war in the Ozarks. I gave this book 4 stars. I learned about several important that I never heard of before and some old favorites like the James Brothers. I would highly recommend this book if you enjoy learning about the civil war.
 This is a quick read. Each page has a quote from each of her books that she wrote. It is a book of wisdom. They just gathered some of the quotes to match a wisdom they were talking about. I gave it 5 stars. Nothing to fancy but good. I read this for the #littlehouse readathon.
 This book was only 9 pages long. It goes into who really saved the Ingalls in the book Little House on the Prairie. This is about the native American who talked the others out of killing the settlers.  on their land. I gave it 4 stars. It was informative but to be honest I don't really care if she got the wrong Native American or not. Again I read this for the #littlehouse readathon.
This was the last book that I read for the week. I didn't like this book. It just wasn't for me but it could be for you. I gave it 2.5 stars. It would be better if I just put what  Good Reads says here. The reason I really didn't like this book is because her parents are forcing her to become a lawyer and that isn't what she wants to do. If she doesn't then they won't pay for her college. She has a lot to deal with and trying to figure it out is hard for her and she makes some choices that aren't good for her or are they.
Alice had her whole summer planned. Non-stop all-you-can-eat buffets while marathoning her favorite TV shows (best friends totally included) with the smallest dash of adulting--working at the library to pay her share of the rent. The only thing missing from her perfect plan? Her girlfriend (who ended things when Alice confessed she's asexual). Alice is done with dating--no thank you, do not pass go, stick a fork in her, done.

But then Alice meets Takumi and she can’t stop thinking about him or the rom com-grade romance feels she did not ask for (uncertainty, butterflies, and swoons, oh my!).

When her blissful summer takes an unexpected turn, and Takumi becomes her knight with a shiny library employee badge (close enough), Alice has to decide if she’s willing to risk their friendship for a love that might not be reciprocated—or understood.

That is what I read and I hope you give these books a read. I may not have enjoyed all of them but you should still give them a go and find out for yourself. Let me know what you have read recently.
Until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment