Saturday, May 2, 2020

April 2020 Book Outlet Haul

Since I really can't visit the book store I have been doing my shopping online. Book outlet has been having a sale and I have been taking advantage of it. These are the books that I bought.

 I was able to get this book that was recommended to me by a family member. The back of the book says. After Alba Ashby, the youngest PhD student at Cambridge University, suffers the Worst Event of Her Life, she finds herself at the door of 11 Hope Street. There, a beautiful older woman named Peggy invites Alba to stay, on the house's usual conditions: she'll have ninety-nine nights, and no more, to turn her life around.
Once inside, Alba sees that 11 Hope Street is no ordinary place. Past residents include Virginia Woolf, Dorothy Parker, and Agatha Christie, who all stayed there when they, too, had lost hope. With the house's help, Alba decides to risk everything-and embarks on a journey that may even save her life.
 Another book that was recommended by a family member. I just posted on this book on Tuesday so I won't retype what the book says about the story. You need to go to my Top Ten Tuesday #11 to learn about this book.
 I also just posted about this book on my Top Ten Tuesday #11. If you want to learn more about this series you can go to that post.
 I was finally able to pick up the rest of this series from them. I will write what the first book says since the others will be spoilers. The first book in the series is called The Selection.
The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 I have already read this book. I bought this because I didn't have it for my collection, which surprised me. This book contains letters that Laura wrote to Almanzo while she was in San Francisco visiting Rose.
 This is the last book that she wrote before she passed away. I am trying to get the whole series before I start to read them. I am almost there.
In 1979, four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate—and film the attack. Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state’s evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace.
       
Now, it’s 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents—until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That’s when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he’s not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find...
 This is the third book in the companion series. The back of the book says.
Let the battle for Christmas begin...
It isn't always easy growing up as a human in Elfhelm, even if your adoptive parents are the newly married Father Christmas and Mary Christmas.
For one thing, elf school can be annoying when you have to sing Christmas songs every day-even in July-and when you fail all your toy-making tests. Also it can get very, very cold.
But when the jealous Easter Bunny and his Rabbit Army launch an attack to stop Christmas, it's up to Ameila, her new family, and the elves to keep Christmas alive. Before it's too late...
This is the last book that I bought for the month. I did check this book out from the library but I wanted to own it so I saw it and bought it. It is about Laura and her daughter Rose. This is what the inside cover has to say about the book.
Generations of children have fallen in love with the pioneer saga of the Ingalls family, of Pa and Ma, Laura and her sisters, and their loyal dog, Jack. Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books have taught millions of Americans about frontier lif, giving inspiration to many and becoming icons of our national identity. Yet few realize that this cherished series wandered far from the actual history of the Ingalls family and from what Laura herself understood to be central truths about pioneer life.
In this groundbreaking narrative of literary detection, Christine Woodside reveals for the first time the full extent of the collaboration between Laura and her daughter. Rose Wilder Lane. Rose hated farming and fled the family homestead as an adolescent, eventually becoming a nationally prominent magazine writer, biographer of Herbert Hoover, and successful novelish, who shared the political values of Ayn Rand and became a mentor to Roger Lea MacBride, the second Libertarian presidential candidate.
Drawing on original manuscripts and letters, Woodside shows how Rose reshaped her mother's story into a series of heroic tales that rebutted the policies of the New Deal. Their secret collaboration would lead in time to their estrangement. A fascinating look at the relationship between two strong-willed women, Libertarians on the Prairie is also the deconstruction of an American myth.
I do know that Rose did a lot to Laura's stories so this doesn't surprise me.

Let me know if you have read any of these books and which one I should read first. As always keep reading and stay safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment