Monday, May 4, 2020

Books Beside my Chair #18

This is for the week of April 27th through May 3rd. I read 6 books which brings my yearly total to 94 books. These books totaled 1,954 pages.

 This book is a mystery and I gave it 4 stars. I had a great time reading this book and recommend it for you to read if you like mysteries. This is what Amazon has to say about it.
During the languid days of the Christmas break, a group of thirtysomething friends from Oxford meet to welcome in the New Year together, a tradition they began as students ten years ago. For this vacation, they’ve chosen an idyllic and isolated estate in the Scottish Highlands—the perfect place to get away and unwind by themselves.
The trip begins innocently enough: admiring the stunning if foreboding scenery, champagne in front of a crackling fire, and reminiscences about the past. But after a decade, the weight of secret resentments has grown too heavy for the group’s tenuous nostalgia to bear. Amid the boisterous revelry of New Year’s Eve, the cord holding them together snaps, just as a historic blizzard seals the lodge off from the outside world.
Two days later, on New Year’s Day, one of them is dead. . . and another of them did it.
Keep your friends close, the old adage says. But how close is too close?
DON'T BE LEFT OUT. JOIN THE PARTY NOW.

 I read this graphic novel because I read them quickly and it was the Good Reads winner for 2019. I gave it 4 stars. This is what the inside cover says about the book.
Every Autumn. all through high school, they've worked together at the world's best pumpkin patch. They say good-bye every Halloween, and they're reunited every September 1.
But this Halloween is different, Josie and Deja are finally seniors. It's their last season at the Patch, their last shift together-their last good-bye.
Josie's ready to spend the whole night feeling melancholy about it. (He's the melancholy type.) But Deja has a plan: What if, instead of moping and instead of the usual-slinging lima beans down at the Succotash Hut-they went out with a bang? They could see all the sights! Taste all the snacks! Maybe Josie could even talk to that cute girl he's been mooning over for three years...
What if their last shift was an adventure?
 This is a collection of short stories from real women from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I gave it 4 stars which is unusual because I am not a fan of short stories. I liked them because they were mostly about historical facts.
 This is another mystery book with a twist of Science fiction mixed in. I like it but I only gave it 3 stars. I was confused during some of it. It did pick up near the end. This is what Amazon has to say.
Seventeen-year-old Tempe was born into a world of water. When the Great Waves destroyed her planet five hundred years ago, its people had to learn to survive living on the water, but the ruins of the cities below still called. Tempe dives daily, scavenging the ruins of a bygone era, searching for anything of value to trade for Notes. It isn't food or clothing that she wants to buy, but her dead sister's life. For a price, the research facility on the island of Palindromena will revive the dearly departed for twenty-four hours before returning them to death. It isn't a heartfelt reunion that Tempe is after; she wants answers. Elysea died keeping a terrible secret, one that has ignited an unquenchable fury in Tempe: Her beloved sister was responsible for the death of their parents. Tempe wants to know why.

But once revived, Elysea has other plans. She doesn't want to spend her last day in a cold room accounting for a crime she insists she didn't commit. Elysea wants her freedom and one final glimpse at the life that was stolen from her. She persuades Tempe to break her out of the facility, and they embark on a dangerous journey to discover the truth about their parents' death and mend their broken bond. But they're pursued every step of the way by two Palindromena employees desperate to find them before Elysea's time is up--and before the secret behind the revival process and the true cost of restored life is revealed.
 This is the book I was reading for the OWLS readathon for the care of magical creatures. I didn't get it finished in time. I finished it on the 1st. I gave it 3 stars and it is the third and final book in a series. It was a little slow for me. The back of the book says.
Sam Gribley has been told that it is illegal to harbor an endangered bird, so when his beloved falcon, Frightful, comes home, he has to let her go. But Frightful doesn't know how to lie alone in the wild. She can't feed herself, mate, brood chicks, or migrate. Frightful struggles to survive and learns to enjoy her new freedom. But she feels a bond with Sam that can never be broken, and more than anything else, she wants to return to him.

This is the last book that I read for the week. It is a middle-grade book and I gave it 4 stars. I was able to predict the story line and where it was going. I did enjoy it though. I was lucky enough to get the e-arc from Net Galley but I also bought the book from book depository and got the beautiful UK cover. I will be posting a review for this sometime this week so keep a look out.

How did your reading go for the last week? Did you read any good books? If so let me know what you thought of them. If you have read any of these books also let me know what you thought of them.
Until next time keep safe and keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment