Thursday, May 23, 2019

Ruby Review

This book was really hard for me to read. I have added a clip from Orpah's show with the author. I really didn't like this book because it had a lot of things I didn't want to read about. Well I actually listened to this book in the car as I ran errands and such. The reason I picked up this book is because of Orpah. I have read many of the books from her book club picks.
This book is mostly based in the 1950,s in the south. It is about a girl named Ruby and her life. There are other people mentioned but mostly about Ruby. At a young age Ruby is sexually assaulted by her pastor because he thought if you get the girls while they are young you can bring them around to the man's thinking. This really messes up the rest of her life and how the people in the town see her.
This is a really rough story and hard to put into words. If you read this book please be aware of sexual assault and physical abuse. There are some good things about this like the pastor's son who has always loved Ruby and tries to help her but she doesn't know how to take this this because she has never felt love before. This pastor was a very bad man and it does go into detail on how he got that way. This book tells a rough story. I for one had a rough time listening to it and it actually made me ill to my stomach. I am not denying that these things don't happen but I really don't want to read about them. To heart breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment