Monday, May 27, 2019

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek Review

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
By: Kim Michele Richardson
Sourcebooks Landmark
Historical Fiction
Publish Date 7 May 2019
320 Pages

I really enjoyed this book. The author did a great job telling this story. This can be a hard topic to tell because it is about race. The race is a very uncommon type but does exist. Cussy Mary is what you would call a blue lady. That is her skin has a blue tint to it. The story takes place in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky. She is part of the WPA program that FDR started when he became President. This program is called the Pack horse library. What she does is gather up donated books and deliver them to her patrons on horse back or mule. She actually becomes friends with her patrons and everyone is happy to see her. She does have some things happen to her. This story goes into  how these blue people are treated almost as bad as the blacks or the poor.  When I picked up the book I didn't want to put it down. This is a great story and you should give it a read. I learned somethings that I didn't know. I didn't know all the programs that FDR put into action when he was President to help us get out of the depression and back on our feet.  I gave this book 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment