Monday, April 19, 2021

Weekly Wrap up


 This is for the week of April 13th through the 18th.  I read 6 books which brings my reading total to 105 books. Total pages read were 1,977.


Just Mercy By: Bryan Stevenson

I gave this book 4 stars. It is a non-fiction book. I watched the movie first and it was good but mostly was about Walter and a couple other guys on death row. This book is about these men but also about women and children. He not only deals with death row inmates he works with life in prison without parole. The stories he tells are heart breaking and lets you know that our system needs work.

You Say It First By: Katie Cotugno

I gave this book 4 stars. It is a YA contemporary. This book is about an 18-year-old girl who is a senior in high school and is dealing with her parent’s divorce and what she wants to do in the future. When her parents divorce, she has changed how she acts because she is afraid that if she argues or disagrees with her friends it will start a fight and she doesn’t want that to happen because she is afraid the friendship will end. The other character is an 18-year-old boy who barely graduated the year before and he is dealing with the death of his father. His father committed suicide and he found him, so he is having nightmares. He is also trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. They meet by mistake as the girl makes a call to his father not knowing he has passed to get him to register to vote. They get into a conversation which doesn’t end well. She calls back later to apologies and leaves her number if he wants to call her back, which he does. The book continues with them getting to know each other and things happen from there.

Moonstruck Volume 3: Troubled Waters By: Grace Ellis

I gave this graphic novel 3 stars. I can’t go into much detail because it is the third volume of an ongoing series. I do like the art in this novel, but the story line is getting confusing, and I wasn’t sure what was happening and why. This story is about a werewolf who doesn’t want to be one and she is in a relationship with another female and things go wrong. Two different events were going with several different characters in the story. The werewolf character is so unsure of herself it is kind of depressing. I will continue with the series since I can get them from the library because I am hoping that the female werewolf gets some confidence.

 

The Queen’s Gambit By: Walter Tevis

I gave this book 3 stars. I was enjoying it until there was underage drinking which wasn’t bad, but it was the purchasing of alcohol of a minor that bothered me.  This book is about a young orphan who learns how to play chess in an orphanage, at the age of 8. She is adopted by the age of 13 and goes to a normal school and discovers that girls don’t play chess. She finds out about a tournament and wants to play but she doesn’t have the money, so she writes the director of the orphanage for the money and promises to repay him if she wins. She does win and her mom is surprised that you can earn money by playing chess. The story continues with her playing chess and learning about life. 

Up From Slavery By: Booker T. Washington

I gave this book 3 stars. This book is about the life of Booker. He wrote this book. He goes into his life as a slave and how he learned how to read and write. It was interesting and I learned a lot about him.


From Blood and Ash By: Jennifer L. Armentrout

I gave this book 4.5 stars. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I want to compare it to The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trails to be more exact. This book is about a young lady who is preparing to Ascend for the people of the kingdom to save them. She is bored and takes chances to keep herself entertain but usually gets herself into trouble with the Duke. Her new guard is there to protect her but has other thoughts. So much has happened in this book and it kept me on my toes.


Have you read any of these books? If you have what did you think of them?

Until next time keep reading.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment