Monday, June 7, 2021

Weekly Wrap Up

 

This wrap-up is for the week of May 31st- June 6th. I read 10 books for a total of 2,308pages. This brings my yearly reading total to 163 books.


The Legend of the Golden Raven By: K. Ancrum

I gave this novella 2 stars. I am not sure if it was me or the story. It has been over a year since I read The Wicker King and maybe that is why I had a hard connecting to the story. It is only 40 pages, but it took me 3 days to read. I honestly cannot even tell what it is about. The book did do a lot jumping from present to past. I will not tell you not to read it but if you do, please read it right after you the Wicker King.



Wilderlore: The Accidental Apprentice By: Amanda Foody

I gave this book 4 stars. It is a fast read about spirit animals. They call them Magical Beasts in the story. This story is about a young man who has lost his family to an extraordinarily strong Magical Beast and is left orphan in the town with lots of rules. He keeps breaking the rules and does not feel welcomed there. One day he and his fellow working go looking for a mushroom, by the woods (which are forbidden to be enter) and somehow get into the woods. They find a girl there who is going to summon this great beast. She ends up summoning a beast but not the one she wants, and that beast beat ends up bonding with the boy who lost his family. He does not want the beast and gets into trouble at his village and must go to another village to try to get the mark removed. He goes through a lot of trails and learns some important things. There is a lot going on in this story and I recommend that you read it.



Paradise Lost By: John Milton

I gave this classic 3 stars. This is the retelling of Satan and his fallen angels from Heaven. I would suggest that you read the bible version before you read this book. This was for whateverathon prompt of reading a book out of my comfort zone. Digital challenge of written before 2018. Personal challenge was to read a classic a month and top ten.



The Miner’s Lament: A Story of Latina Activists in the Empire Zinc Mine Strike By: Judy Dodge Cummings.

I read this book for the Whateverathon and the prompts it fulfilled were POC Rep. and TBR Game. For the Boxofficeathon it fulfilled the prompt to read a classic or Historical fiction by reading an e-book. I gave this book 4 stars. I have a review up and the link is below.

https://debbiesreadingcorner.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-miners-lament-book-review.html




Elatsoe By: Darcie Little Badger

 I gave this book 4 stars. This book was used in the whateverathon for a debut novel and POC Rep. The read digital challenge for a hyped book.

This is a native American book about a young girl who can bring the ghost of dead animals back. There is a lot of magic involved. She is trying to figure who murdered her cousin and her friends are helping her along with ghost of dead animals she can bring back.



Swamp Thing: Twin Branches By: Maggie Stiefvater

I gave this book 3 stars. This is a graphic novel for young adults. This is about twin brothers who catch their Dad having an affair and he sends them to visit family while the parents figure out what to do with their marriage.

The one brother is very nerdy and has been working with plants and the experiment he is working on is how to pull the plants feelings into some form. I was confused on what was doing and what he was trying to accomplish. Anyway, things go wrong, and weird things happen. Was not on my June TBR but I saw the book at the library and wanted to read it.



Beauty Queens By: Libba Bray

I gave this book 4 stars. This was a ride to read. At first, I thought I was not going to like it, but I did. This book has a lot of characters and each one is different except being a beauty queen. There is a trans., POC, Lesbian and a deaf person and maybe one who might be bi. You find al this out as you read the book.

This story takes place on an island out in the middle of nowhere. Their plane crashes and the flight crew do not survive. The girls do and they must learn how to get along and work together to survive.


Caleb’s Story By: Patricia MacLachlan

I gave this book 4 stars. This is the third book in her Sarah, Plain and Tall Series. This is about Caleb keeping up with the family life in Journal form. His sister Anna started this when Sarah came into their lives. World War 1 is happening and so is the Spanish Flu. Somethings take place that I do not want to mention just in case you have not read the first book. It is just a little more about their lives.

Grandfather’s Dance By: Patricia MacLachlan

I gave this book 4 stars. It is the fifth and final book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall Series. This book is about the wedding of Anna and life. Again, I do not want to say too much because it the conclusion of a series. They are quick reads and fun with some historical fiction in them.


Dear Justyce By: Nic Stone

I gave this book 4 stars. I used this book for the Whateverathon prompt of POC Rep. This is the second book in the Dear Martin series .This book is told in back flashes and takes place at Yale and a detention center. There is a dead police office and a boy is charged with the murder because he is the weapon. Did he kill the police officer or is he being set up? You have to read the book to find out.


Did you read any of these books? If so do you agree with my ratings? If not tell me why. 

Until next time keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment